What is an add-on?
Add-ons have been introduced in PicApport version 9 and allow to extend the functionality of PicApport.
Possible uses are:
- Using external tools or web services to enrich photos with additional metadata, such as automatic tagging, etc.
- Using external tools or web services to do anything with photos, such as (upload, send, etc.)
- Extend the PicApport database with your own data fields like project numbers, customer number, etc.
- Extended filter options of the PicApport internal crawler
With the release of PicApport 9 there are already 8 ready add-ons available (see below)
Features of add-ons
- Add-ons are scripts written in the Groovy programming language that extend the functionality of the PicApportServer
- All add-ons are installed in the source code and can be customized if necessary.
- As of September 2020 (version 9.0) there are 3 types of add-ons:
- Procedures (pagp)
The scripts are called by the user on the server side for selected photos of the thumbnail view
- Database field extension (pagf)
Extends the PicApport internal database with new data fields with the following options:
- Fields can optionally be made available in the global full text search
- Fields themselves can be addressed as index with the following possibilities:
- Full text with wildcard support
- PicApport hierarchical index with wildcard support
- ID index without wildcard support
- crawler filter (pagc)
Extends the PicApport Crawler with additional file filter options.
- Procedures (pagp)
How do I install an add-on?
Each add-on is provided as a single ZIP file.
The installation is done by simply copying this file to the server.
- The instructions are available here: PicApport Add-on Installation Guide
Using the Add-ons
If images are selected in the thumbnail view, a new menu item "Add-ons" appears in the menu bar. With this menu item, the individual add-ons can be selected and applied to the selected images.
(click on the image to enlarge)
List of available add-ons
- PicApport Add-on: OpenStreetMap Geo-Reverse-Encoder
Uses OpenStreetMap (OSM) to enrich the photo metadata (photos must contain geo coordinates for this function) and extends the PicApport database with additional search fields.
- PicApport Add-on: TagYour.Photos (TYP) Automatic tagging of photos
Uses the AI based web service TagYour.Photos (TYP) to enrich the photo metadata based on the image content and extends the PicApport database with additional search fields.
This is currently the best PicApport Addon for German language tagging.
- PicApport Add-on: Imagga - Automatic tagging of photos
Uses the AI based web service https://imagga.com/ to enrich the photo metadata based on the image content and extends the PicApport database with additional search fields.
This Add-on supports a lot of different languages.
- PicApport Add-on: GEOJSON Route Generator
Uses the web service openrouteservice.org to generate an route in GEOJSON format based on the geodata of the selected photos.
- PicApport Add-on: Analyze metadata
This add-on lists all photo metadata in detail and grouped into segments, making it a very useful tool for anyone dealing with photo metadata.
- PicApport Add-on: Show ExifTool Metadata
Uses ExifTool (https://exiftool.org) installed on the server to display metadata.
- PicApport Add-on: NonJpgTitleField
This add-on creates a red title for all thumbnails of non-jpg files.
- PicApport Add-on: PrivateFileFilter
This add-on is a template for an advanced file filter for the PicApport crawler.
- PicApport Add-on: GroovyProceduresTestTool
This add-on is a template and is intended for developers only. It serves as a template for own projects to write procedures.
Add-on reference for developers
The manual for developers is available here: PicApport Add-on Programming Reference